Saturday, July 26, 2014

Why do people climb mountains?

Just over a year ago, a few friends and myself were having job interviews in Istanbul and one night, gathered in my apartment, we were sharing our best and worst over a few drinks. Between giggles, laughs and gasps of air, someone blurted "I've got a good one." We looked at her with full attention and curiosity. "Why do people climb mountains?" she asked. There was a bit of chuckling and then we started firing answers. Mountains symbolize different things to different people. But generally, they symbolize obstacles and overcoming them, overcoming difficulties and at times mental and/or spiritual enlightenment. Our answers that night were along the same lines.

Recently I climbed a mountain and that night and the conversation we had flashed through my mind and made me think about my reasons. In a sleepy town on the outskirts of the province of Yalova I was finishing off my second cup of tea and third cigarette, enjoying the cool shade after having spent half the day laying on the beach reading Paulo Coelho. Days when I can simply relax and read are few and far between but when I do get those days I relish every minute. After paying, I thought about what to do next. I could go back to the beach and finish my book or I could walk in the opposite direction, towards the mountains encompassing this sleepy town. So, I packed up my things and with slight trepidation I chose the latter and made my way over.

Standing at the foot of the mountain, I braced myself for the hike to come, for the unknown. There was no particular path, no map or guide book. Just a dusty trail that had been formed over the years as a result of weathering and possibly some use. My heart was beating faster and I felt a rush of excitement. I was alone and I had no idea what was going to happen or what I would encounter. But I was buzzing. The unknown was exhilarating. I pictured the hike and reminded myself that with every step forward I was going to leave the past and the emotional disarray behind me. I visualized the end and imagined how much of an accomplishment it would feel like. I wanted to gain control of my feelings and take charge of my life again. I wanted to be that person so bad and this hike was going to help me become that person.



As I made my way up the dirt path I could feel the loose soil crushing under my shoes. Dry leaves crackled as I stepped on them. Tiny stones rolled away with the jerk of every step. Every now and then a slight cool breeze made the humidity tolerable. It felt great as it brushed up against my damp skin. But the path started to incline and my strides got longer in hopes of getting to the end sooner. The muscles in the back of my legs tightened and relaxed with each step. The path became steeper and my breathing heavier. With every breath, I tasted a blend of sharp and sweet smells of the leaves and the soil. My heart beat faster as my lungs filled with air. Beads of sweat continued to roll down my face and my back was completely drenched. I pushed forward. With every last bit of determination, I pushed forward. With the will to prove to myself that I am stronger than I think, I pushed forward. With the hunger to feel something, anything, I pushed forward.

The hike had become more challenging than I initially expected it to be. The soles of my feet felt sore and my thighs were aching. My toes felt warm and raw because of chafing and every time I wiped my face I felt slimy. Even my hands were sweating and it felt like I was just smearing more sweat on my face than wiping it off. There wasn't a single piece of clothing on my body with a dry spot left. The sun was beginning to set and I looked around, slightly worried about how I was going to make my way back. Standing there, trying to catch my breath, I tried to find the nearest patch of clearing I could to take a break. My mind was racing with the thoughts of what I would do next. There was a lump in my throat, my head felt heavy and my bottom lip started quivering. Within seconds I fell to my knees and tears started running down my face. I didn't hold back. I let the fear of not knowing where I was, the pain of my sore muscles and the complete sadness of love lost take over. I could barely keep my eyes open, my eyelids felt swollen and heavy. I was certain my knees were bleeding because of falling so hard on the dirt, but I didn't care. My body was jerking and I was gasping for air, but I didn't stop. It was my release. I climbed half way up the mountain to let go of the pain weighing heavy on me for weeks.


2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post. I feel like the mountain symbolized all the emotional pain and hurt you had built up and you felt the need to climb the mountain to overcome it. I could definitely feel the emotion. It's beautifully written, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, it means more to me than you know x

    ReplyDelete